Based on seeing bad haiku in twitter and elsewhere
1) No it is NOT just a sentence split into 3 lines!
of 3 lines of phrases
2) The middle line is supposed to be longer whether you're using the 5 7 5 pattern or not
3) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
try to read a translation of Basho or Issa or Chiyo or Shiki that includes notes and a word for word translation or transliteration of the original kanji and kana into romaji so you can study assonance in the original
4) Japanese Poetry does have "Metre"
based on Syllable count and Assonance and Image
all linked and balanced
5) yes emotions are allowed but don't be too emo or sentimental
Look up wabi sabi !
and if you're writing free form
read Song dynasty Chinese Ci / tzu translations too!
Basho and Issa probably did!
6) American and some other school systems should be banned from setting haiku writing as homework assignments until after students have mastered basics like assonance and what the difference is between "blank" verse and "free" verse.
7) Please read a good translation of the Hyaku Nin Isshu or Heian Waka.
Then a good anthology of Haiku
Finally will someone please reprint Daniel Buchanan' One Hundred Famous Haiku!
For those who can't get a hold of one
Here's how he translates Basho's most famous Haiku
Into the old pond / A frog suddenly plunges / The sound of water
note how 3 separate things and images are linked
Action Cause Effect
the japanese is literally
furu ike ya old pond ! / kawazu tobikomu frog leaps / water of sound
it shouldnt work but it does in both japanese and english!
my translation would be
the old temple pond
the frog leaps and dives in
the sound of water
(temple inserted cos Basho is said to have written this while staying at a buddhist temple)
Please Study and Read haiku before trying to write them in English !
Support me via PayPal.me/JulieVaux
Or PATREON PLEDGE ME