Saturday 7 April 2018

I'm lonely and it's autumn

I'M LONELY AND IT'S AUTUMN

An irreverent look at themes in the #HyakuNinIsshu
#waka #autumn #japanesepoetry #heianpoetry

The#Hyaku-Nin-Isshu anthologyof 100 #Heian poets includes many of the major and popular subjects and themes that appear in that era's poetry.

Here's a tally of certain themes

I'm very clever at with word play and double meanings 15X

OH the Moon the moon preferably rising over mountains 10X

Perhaps because even the most poetry obsessed Courtier had gotten fed up with them the two common themes of
Yet another pun on oosaka and ausaka barrier and Naniwa beach and bamboo nodes
curiously only appear twice

Maple leaves make early autumn tolerable and an excuse for a picnic 6X

My sleeve is wet with rain or tears
will someone please invent the umbrella and tissues  4x

OH the white on the whiteness!
UNseasonal snow or frost  contrasting with something matte white or dark 5X

WAH I'm all alone expect for my house boy and the other servants and the peasants down the bottom of the hill from my "hut" or my actual country house with spring and garden. 18X

Pathetic annoying animal and bird noises ... bloody rutting stags etc 3X

Late Autumn is cold windy and dreary especially at dusk and I am very sad 9X

I like Japanese poetry but sometimes its easy to see why the Japanese of the Tokugawa era developed Haiku!?









No comments:

Post a Comment