Thursday 30 October 2014

Blue Yu

#asian culture #hanzi #chinese characters #blueyu #speculation
Copyright Julie Vaux 2014 

I first found this character while I was idly opening pages at random in a dictionary and something about it caught my eye especially after seeing the modern meaning. Yes this is a moment of sheer poetic fantasy but suddenly I had this "vision" of a depressed Han or earlier dynasty scribe / scholar a northerner exiled to the southern jungles trying to create a compound character that expressed his mood.

On top we have a drinking vessel between two trees drinking amongst the forest and below a word / character often translated as wine and I cant help wondering which fermented fruit liquor someone was getting stuck into. Rice and millet were not the only things used to brew alcohol in ancient China. 

Yes I'm guessing but what's your guess as to the origin of this character?

Footnote Yes I am bumping older posts today for new followers !
Apologies if you've seen this before!

No comments:

Post a Comment